Jeff Horn agrees on ‘all the key terms’ to fight Terence Crawford
The World Championship bout between Australian Jeff Horn and American Terence Crawford could be formally announced as early as next week. The pair is expected to battle out at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on April 21.
Jeff Horn is the reigning WBO Welterweight champion, who made his first title defense last month in Brisbane, when he stopped Gary Corcorcan of England in the eleventh round. He initially claimed the belt against Filipino Manny Pacquiao, scoring a unanimous decision last July, also in Brisbane.
The king of the junior welterweight class Terence Crawford unified all four belts (WBC, WBO, WBA, IBF) in his most recent bout last August, when he knocked out Julius Indongo of Namibia in the third round. Moving up a weight class he vacates the titles and becomes a mandatory challenger for Horn’s WBO welterweight strap.
According to reports, Horn’s trainer Glenn Rushton told AAP that they had agreed on ‘all the key terms’ and it was ‘a go’ from their camp. The contracts are expected to be in ‘hand by the end of next week’.
“As far as we’re concerned, it’s pretty much a deal,” said Rushton. “But no deal’s done until it’s done, so we just have to cross t’s, dot i’s and actually get this thing locked down.”
“We have certainly agreed on all the key terms and from our side, it’s a go. Now Bob [Arum]’s got to tidy up some loose ends. We have total confidence in Bob and Top Rank that he’ll get this all locked up and we’ll have a contract in our hands by the end of next week.”
Once the contracts are signed by both parties, the Horn vs. Crawford bout will top up the Top Rank Boxing card on ESPN.