According to Bob Arum the announced contest between Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan is not happening.
Earlier this month the adviser of Filipino great boxer, Michael Koncz told Yahoo Sports that Pacquiao vs Khan is happening on May 20 in the United Arab Emirates. Both fighters have also previously posted on Twitter that they were going to face off on April 23.
It all followed an overall confusion and further cancellation of Pacquiao’s fight against Australian Jeff Horn. Moreover, Bob Arum had always been skeptical in regards to the prospected Pacquaio vs Khan fight in UAE. The Top Rank promoter had indicated the financial matter of $38 million as one of the major factors.
Manny Pacquiao is not fighting Amir Khan in his next bout.
On Tuesday Arum told Dan Rafael of ESPN that the deal in the UAE was dead. Furthermore, he has advised that Amir Khan is not going to be the next opponent of “Pacman”. Lastly, the $38 million was as much or as little but a dream.
“Michael is on his way back to meet with Manny but it’s kaddish for the UAE deal. It’s dead,” Arum said. “I’m talking to him about another proposal for another fight, not Khan. Khan won’t be Manny’s next opponent.”
Arum had previously said that for Khan fight April was no good. Neither May seemed as an option due to Senate in Philippines, where Pacquiao serves, is in session.
Arum presumes that if the investors in the UAE could come up with the funds the Pacquiao vs Khan could possibly happen in November, although he indeed doubts such outcome. He had also previously stated that the Muslim holy month of Ramadan had to be considered. It begins on May 26 and ends on June 25. As a result, the bout at the outdoor stadium in the following few months is not possible due to the weather conditions in the desert during the summer.
Arum expects Pacquiao to step inside the ring elsewhere in June or July. This also depends on the schedule of the senate in Philippines.