Video: Riot at Glory 80, Badr Hari vs Arkadiusz Wrzosek 2 stopped, main event cancelled

'Those weren't Glory Kickboxing fans, they were soccer hooligans,' Todd Grisham

A highly anticipated kickboxing rematch between Badr Hari and Arkadiusz Wrzosek ended in a disappointment. The contest featured Moroccan-Dutch K-1 legend looking to avenge the defeat against Polish heavyweight in the co-headliner of Glory 80. The event aired live on pay-per-view from Trixxo Arena in Hasselt, Belgium on Saturday March 19, which made it Sunday March 20 in Australia.


The scheduled for three rounds bout didn’t go the full distance, but not because of a knockout, TKO or any other reason from the rule book. Wrzosek, who was getting dominated but managed to KO Hari with head kick in their first fight last September, appeared much more confident in the rematch against “Bad Boy”, who was traditionally delivering power shots. Although being cut and down on the official scorecards after the first round “The Polish Hightower” knocked his opponent down with a jumping scissor knee at the end of Round 2.

As the fighters were in their respective corners getting instructions from their teams and preparing for the third and final round, a massive brawl broke out in the crowd – reportedly ignited by Polish soccer hooligans. Punches, kicks… chairs were thrown. Some fans started running out of the arena.

Badr Hari vs Arkadiusz Wrzosek 2 was “cancelled after two rounds due to security reasons,” read the message shown on the screen during the event PPV broadcast.

There, arguably, was not enough security staff at the arena, while, at some point, it seemed that the riot police unit was required.

The rest of the event, that was scheduled to see a headline-bout between Jamal Ben Saddik and Levi Rigters, was also cancelled “upon the request of the police in the city of Hasselt,” as per statement sent out by the promotion.

“GLORY deeply regrets that GLORY 80 was interrupted by people exhibiting unsafe behavior. We never condone or accept behavior that endangers other fans that come to our events to enjoy a night of top sport. Upon the request of the police in the city of Hasselt, we stopped the event after the 2nd round of Hari – Wrzosek.”

“We apologize to the fans who did not get to see the end of this bout and the Ben Saddik – Rigters matchup. Also to the athletes who trained so hard and did not get to compete. Martial arts is a sport of respect and fair competition inside and outside of the ring.”

Among the bouts that did go ahead at Glory 80, Tiffany van Soest retained her super bantamweight title by TKO in the fifth round against Manazo Kobayashi, and Serkan Ozcaglayan scored a unanimous decision against Ertugrul Bayrak at middleweight.

Get the full Glory 80 results.


Share This

Want to Support?

You can support FIGHTMAG with a contribution of any size. Thank you.


Cold Company

Sign up for FIGHTMAG Weekly Newsletter

Top stories delivered to your inbox

Stream boxing live on DAZN